Ferenc Hörcher gives a key-lecture at the online conference Tradition and Change. Scruton's Philosophy organized by the University of Silesia.
Time of the lecture: 23 January 2021, 4 pm CET
Online registration form is available here.
The aim of the conference is to share knowledge and discuss the issues of social change and tradition. The guests of the meeting will be scholars and those representing various scientific disciplines, creators of artistic culture, journalists and students. They will be discussing issues related to Western civilization – religion, political philosophy, ethics, aesthetics and arts which Sir Roger Scruton (1944–2020) reflected upon and wrote about and in his numerous books.
- 15.1.2021, Friday, 4 p.m CET – Rector of the University of Silesia in Katowice Prof. Ryszard Koziołek: the opening of the conference
“The Biblical and Christian Roots of Western Democracy”, George Weigel, Ethic and Public Policy Center, Washington, Live Stream: www.youtube.com,
- 16.1.2021, Saturday, 4 p.m CET – “Internal Road of European Confessionalization and De-confessionalization”, José Casanova, Georgetown University, Washington, Live Stream: www.youtube.com,
- 22.1.2021, Friday, 4 p.m CET – “Main Currents of Scruton’s Philosophy”, Mark Dooley, Dublin,
- 23.1.2021, Saturday, 4 p.m CET – “Scruton’s Critique of Enlightened rationality”, Ferenc Hörcher, National University of Public Service, Budapest,
- 29.1.2021, Friday, 4 p.m CET – “The panel in Polish: Roger Scruton as a writer”, led by Rafał Cekiera, panelists: Krzysztof Łęcki, Ewa Borkowska (University of Silesia), Marek Matraszek (Roger Scruton Legacy Foundation),
- 30.1.2021, Saturday, 4 p.m CET – “Scruton on Faith and Reason”, James Orr, University of Cambridge,
- 5.2.2021, Friday, 4 p.m CET – “Democracy, Power and Complexity”, George Schöpflin, Budapest,
- 6.2.2021, Saturday, 4 p.m CET – „Peripheral Democracy” after 20 years, Zdzisław Krasnodębski, Warsaw,
- 12.2.2021, Friday , 4 p.m CET – “Europe in the 21st century and the Late Roman Republic – Repeating or Learning from History?”, David Engels, Université libre de Bruxelles,
- 12.2.2021, Friday, 10 a.m CET – Lectio classica – Reading Aloud, Roger Scruton. Green Philosophy: How To Think Seriously About the Planet,
- 8.1.2021, 6 p.m CET – The Mass for the Soul of Sir Roger Scruton will be held at św. Jadwiga Church in Chorzów, Singing: Schola Cantorum Minorum Chosoviensis.
The Conference is organized by the Tradition Research Group of the University of Silesia as part of the Power of Tradition program supported by Interreg Czech Republic – Poland.